November 8, 2003 Lunar Eclipse

Website archive 1995-2013

Victoria Centre is part of the national Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, which is dedicated to bringing information about astronomy to the general public.

Events
Image Gallery
Online Articles
Observing Highlights

Lunar Eclipse

November 8, 2003, 4:30pm

Cattle Point in Oak Bay

Lunar eclipse - Nov 8, 2003 - from Victoria, BC, CanadaVictoria Centre held a Lunar Eclipse public event at Cattle Point municipal park, which has a very nice easterly view over the Strait of Georgia. While we were waiting for the moon to rise, we were awestruck by a plume of black smoke appearing from Mount Baker - likely a small eruption from this not-so-extinct volcano just south of the Canada-US border!

The eclipse was finally spotted at about 5:05pm. For us here on the West Coast, the Moon rose while it was in Total eclipse, 2nd contact. Totality lasted some 25 minutes before the Moon's western limb left the umbra. When first spotted, the eclipsed Nov 8, 2003 Lunar Eclipse panel of three imagesMoon appeared as a pinkish crescent peeking through the clouds and pollution of Vancouver, however it quickly took shape and assumed the more traditional coppery-red colour as it climbed into clear sky. The partial eclipse through 4th Contact entertained some 500 spectators and dozen RASC volunteers over the next couple of hours, as we watched the penumbra progress. The event was well attended by the media. Everyone wrapped up around 8pm, after some final glimpses of Mars.

All in all, a very successful public viewing event.

horizontal rule